Friday, February 8, 2008

Blog number 10
February 7, 2008


So tonight I am falling asleep to it being quiet. Ghana lost tonight to Cameroon 0-1. This was the game just before the championship so everyone is very disappointed. The black starts will play Cote d’voire on Saturday for third place.

This week has been a really good week other then the loss. It is started to get very very hot, to I arrive at school sweating, and I do not stop until I am back at home at the end of the day laying under my fan.
After making all of the students kneel on Monday teaching went really well on Tuesday. One of the classes I teach is really good. They are very respectful and very good at keeping quiet if they start getting loud. The other class is not so much. I spend most of the day in that classroom, so I wonder if this is why they are more talkative. When I was teaching the second class, There was a group of 4 boys who just wouldn’t stop talking so they ended up kneeling for the rest of the period. Today I collect the homework assigned on Wednesday, so hopefully I will have a better turn out then the previous two weeks.

Last week Thursday, while everyone was wearing their traditional clothing, I commented on a teacher’s beautiful beads. She questioned whether I really liked them, and then said that she would get me some! Well, after I was all done teaching on Wednesday, One of the students came and called me saying that a teacher was looking for me. Well I have still to learn all of the students’ names, so when she said I was just suppose to go, I had no clue where I was going! I ended up walking a bit until the student saw me and came and told me where it was! When I got to the classroom, she told me that a woman with the beads was here and I should look at them. They were these beautiful beads, that I learned were made right there in the city. I picked out a strand I liked a lot and then the teacher pointed out another that was beautiful. By this time a second teacher had come in and she told me to take ones that would match the cloth that I was making clothes out of. So now I had three beautiful strands of bead that I had to choose from. When I asked about the prices, the teacher who called me there, told me that they were on her and that I can have them! So I ended up leaving the room with three new beautiful necklaces and three new beautiful pairs of earrings (each necklace automatically came with the matching earrings!)

This weekend I am heading up to the north volta region with about 20 of the teachers from school. The class one teacher’s father died and so we are all going to the funeral. We will leave early Saturday morning and return late Saturday night. I am very excited not only to be traveling with the teachers, and getting to spend more time with them, but to also get a chance to experience a Ghanaian funeral!

I officially only have one month left and I cannot believe it! This time is flying!!

Hope things are going well at home!

☺Chelsea☺

No comments: