Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Blog Number 15
February 25, 2008


This week has come WAY too fast! I literally cannot even believe that I am preparing my closing assignments, and finishing up my projects. This is officially my last week of teaching a full week. Next week we have classes Monday, a shortened day on Tuesday and then we have parent/teacher conferences on Wednesday and a national holiday on Thursday. Because of that, the students will not be in school until the 12th and that will be two days after I leave. So my last day with the students is Tuesday February 4th, 2008!!! I haven’t been saying too much about this being the end, but it ends up continuously coming into conversation. Whether it is one of the students telling other teachers, my co-op bringing it up, or one of the other teachers that I am friends with and each time, it is just as unbelievable to hear.
My time here has literally been one of the best experiences of my life. Not only has it totally strengthened my want to be a teacher, but it has also forced me to re-evaluate my teaching techniques and I have proven myself to be ready for whatever else can come my way. I cannot imagine ever being put into a situation, as much unlike what I am used to, and coming out totally confident for what I am doing, and why I am doing it. Working with these students, and having them realize what I am trying to say, even though our ways of speaking, or reference points as well as the words that we use are often very different, is watching that light bulb turn on for a student. However due to our cultural differences, this occurs with such regularity that I cannot imagine a day without it. I have brought an extremely different way of life to these students, a culture so unlike theirs that they cannot help but just stare. Watching the amazement fly across their face as soon as I begin to answer a question is one of the coolest things ever. And they are always asking questions that make the American way of life seem so ridiculous, but is just part of our culture. Much like the fact that Ghanaians eat with their hands, and cross through traffic like their car is invisible.
Being immersed in the Ghanaian culture is nothing that you can plan for, and nothing that you can dream of, but is also nothing that I will ever forget, and hopefully will never distance myself from. They had given their entire culture to me and have guided me through every bit of it, that I owe quite a few people a lot of gratitude.
I have even offered to write the papers for a few of them to come to the United States with me. Hey this is a polygamist culture, so who cares as long as they are getting the opportunity to come and visit.
One thing of the past two weeks that has been totally bringing me down is the fact that Partey is starting to distance himself a bit. For the past 7 weeks that I have been here, Partey has come to my door every morning to say good morning, and for me to tell him to have a good day at school. He only came by once last week. When I asked him why he said that I just wouldn’t understand. But I think I do. I catch him looking at my with his eyes a bit glazed. This 14 year old gives everything about himself to make the St. Norbert Students feel beyond comfortable in his house, and after 7-9 weeks they will always go home, and the house will go back to being quiet. Partey even got mad at me the other day for staying to have a drink with some of the teachers, rather then coming home so I would be here when he got home from school. I am giving partey his space, because I do not want to make this any harder on him, yet I want him to know that I honestly will miss him and that he has left an imprint in my life.

Ok, so sorry if you found this blog a bit sappy. I really do not even know how to explain my draw to this country and this way of life and I wanted everyone else who reads this to understand what an amazing blessing I have had, by having this opportunity to come here!!

But don’t worry, I still have exactly two weeks here and I WILL make the best of them!!


Love you all!
☺Chelsea☺

No comments: