Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Blog Number 9
February 4, 2008


I had a really fun weekend this weekend!!! And what topped it off was a BIG GHANA WIN AGAINST NIGERIA!!!! That is right, the Black Stars outplayed, and outscored the Super Eagles!!! It was the perfect ending to my weekend!!

OK, so this weekend I had nothing on the agenda, and I was very excited about it. Because of a few cooler days’ last week I was feeling a little under the weather and just wanted to catch up on a bit of sleep. That and my teacher had borrowed me a couple of movies so that I could just lie around and watch them.
Friday night I ended up playing cards with the boys until about 10:00pm. I have now taught them Go Fish, Crazy Eights, Memory, Spoons, War, and I just taught them Old Maid. We had to play them all a few times before I could go to sleep.
On Saturday morning, Auntie Agnes left the house early, and this gave the boys permission to wake me up equally as early! Since I was feeling much better I decided that I wanted to go and check out the art market. I decided that I was going to take a taxi there, until Auntie Agnes suggested that Partey go with me and that we would take a tro tro. We ended up starting to talk, but Partey forgot how to walk there so we took a taxi. The market has some very beautiful crafts, but it is a little overwhelming with all of the store tenders demanding for your attention whether you glance there way or not. Finally, after bargaining for a pair of earrings for 1 Ghana cede, we ended up leaving the market.
We decided that we were going to walk home and stop by all of the big attractions right there. We first walked through Independence Square down to the ocean. Then we headed to the stadium and walked around the stadium.
After being gone for 3 hours we decided to start our 40-minute trek home. We walked, talked, told jokes and sang. It really was a really fun walk about town!
The rest of the day was very low key, playing cards, resting and going to bed early after watching I Am Ledged.
On Sunday (GAME DAY!) Auntie Agnes took me to the seamstress to get some traditional clothes made. We had bought the fabric the previous weekend and I picked out my style and took my measurements. The rest of the day was devoted to football and the big Match.
The game was super exciting and nerve wrecking! There were some great parts for both teams, and some definitely let downs. Overall we came out on top and the city went crazy! I remember still hearing the cars honking at 10:30 when I headed to bed!
Today was a good day at school! Since a quarter of the students still did not turn in their homework on Friday, I ended up making those students, as well as the students who didn’t have their homework for me today kneel outside the classroom with their hands up silently for the teaching period, while everyone else got to play a fun soccer based (only to further celebrate the GHANA WIN!!) spelling activity. Seeing the group of students outside on the cement, many of the passing teachers had further remarks for them, which further emphasized their punishment. I think I actually made 3 or 4 students cry today! It sucked, but hopefully they will continue to take me serious now!

OK. Well that is it! These past two days have been extremely hot. The Harmatan is beginning to wear off, and it was the Harmatan, which actually was keeping the weather a bit down. Now the very hot season is starting!! So I will do my best to send this warm weather your way!!

Hope life is finding you all well!
☺ Chelsea ☺

No comments: