Friday, February 22, 2008

Blog Number 14
February 21, 2008

Last week Wednesday I started my final project with the students in composition. I have been working on putting it together for about the past 2 to 3 weeks to make sure that I have the details all figured out, and I ran the whole project pass bright to make sure that it is ok! So last week, was just laying the groundwork, and this week we actually began the project.
With the 45 students in the class we are writing a Choose your own Adventure story continuing the story of one of their legends. One of the stories is based off of “How the Crab Lost it’s Head” and the other is “How the Tortoise got it’s Shell.” This week I put the students into the groups that they asked for, and assigned group leaders. Then the students were given a chance to work as a team to get some work done that I assigned the group. Tomorrow they will turn in their first drafts of the stories that they are writing and next week, they will but the individual stories together to make one whole group story. I am really excited about this project, because so far the students have really gotten into it. In fact, one group even came up with a team name and team rules that they expect from each other, the first being “ Listen to Ms. Chelsea so we all understand what is going on!” Man did I train these students well or what?! Haha. Some of the groups definitely worked better then others, but for the most part I finally see the project coming together and going to work! YES!!!
This week was the first week that some of the teachers held it against me for being American. President Bush came to Accra this past Tuesday evening through Thursday morning, and just about the whole city shut down. All of the major roads in and out of the city were closed for safety precautions, and armed policeman constantly monitored whole regions of Accra. In fact. School closed early on Tuesday and Wednesday because they wanted to be able to get all of the students’ home before the roads closed. Many of the teachers and parents complained about what a hassle this was. They also made very distinct comparisons to President Bush and Bill Clinton. I guess that Mr. Clinton came to visit during his term, and like this visit the whole city shut down, but unlike with President Bush, it shut down because everyone went to Independence square to meet and hear Mr. Clinton speak. I guess that the school children lined the path from the airport to the square, and Mr. Clinton even through some candy to them. Many of the Ghanaians thought this was so honorable of the President. President Bush’s visit however was simply to visit with all of the high governmental officials, evaluate the countries health practices, and see how we can stop the Spread of Malaria. One of the newspapers headline read “President Bush moves on to Fighting Mosquitoes” I definitely liked this one!
So today, after school I went with a couple of teachers to get a drink to celebrate the departure of President Bush and the return to regular life. It was a great time, and something fun to celebrate.

This weekend I will be traveling to yet another Funeral. Auntie Agnes’s friend (also names Agnes Batsa) passed away a few weeks ago so we are going for this. We leave tomorrow and will not return until Sunday. It will be pretty cool because it is in the village that Daddy is the Chief of, and so we will stay at their home. I am so anxious to see this home because I have heard some pretty amazing things about it!

My mom comes one week from Monday, and I am getting so excited for her to be here, but at the same time a little sad because that means that I will be leaving ☹

Hope life is good for everyone!
☺ Chelsea ☺

No comments: